So, one of the biggest challenges I have faced as a new mother is having a beautiful baby girl who doesn't like to nap. Over the past four months I have been so overwhelmed because I have almost no time to get anything done around the house. Mackenna is what some call a catnapper. Well, I did a lot of research and most things I read said, "Just get used to it. Some babies nap well, other babies don't." One thing I am is a problem solver and that answer just did not give me any hope. I kept thinking to myself, "There's got to be something out there that can help me teach my daughter to nap well!" And thus, I discovered, Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child by Marc Weissbluth M.D. His advice is so practical and he offers a variety of solutions based on your child's temperment, prior sleep patterns, and age. Mackenna was a mildly colicky baby and he explains that colicky children don't nap well at an early age so they actually become generally overtired so the sleep that they do get is not as restorative as the sleep of a well-rested infant. He gives great tips on how to handle an overtired, post-colicky baby and after applying his advice... Mackenna's become a napper. A great napper, at that!
So all this to say, this is my new book recommendation for all pregnant women and new moms! I am thankful to God who has given us all good things, including minds like Marc Weissbluth's that can study and write and help sleep deprived new mothers!
No comments:
Post a Comment