"The LORD God said, 'It is not good for man to be alone. I will make a helper suitable for him.' ... Then the LORD God made a woman from the rib he had taken out of the man, and he brought her to the man." Genesis 2:18,22

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Not Temper Tantrums already?!?

Mackenna has started to share her opinion in a more, ahem, defiant manner. She's started throwing the dreaded temper tantrum, or as we call them in our house, angry fits. We knew they would show up someday, but they came on suddenly without any warning. No "mini" fits to get us warmed up to handling a full blown angry fit. But, here we are, learning to parent and train a child with heart that is bent toward getting her own way. All the time. Without question.

Teaching a nine month old that we don't always get what we want has humbled me. As Mackenna throws a very loud, very irrational, very real, angry fit when I take away a beloved toy and lay her down for a nap, I am vividly aware of the times throughout my day that I throw an equally loud, irrational, and real, angry fit inside my heart. I may not get on the floor, flail my arms and legs, and scream at the top of my lungs, but every time that I get impatient, every time that I wish for something that I don't have and then get angry because I don't have it- I am doing the exact same thing as Mackenna. Wow. I'm humbled. And thankful. Thankful that God uses Mackenna to  help me grow closer to Him. When I see my weaknesses and sins, I am once again amazed at His grace and humbled by the fact that He would save me. As I meditate on His grace and mercy, it helps me patiently correct and train Mackenna. Instead of getting angry at the inconvenience of her angry fits, I become more concerned with the fact that she is disobeying God and will be held accountable for that disobedience. God gives me wisdom in each situation to know what Scripture to teach her, how to keep my tone firm, yet loving, and how to remember that I am doing all this to be a good steward of the life that He's given me to train and love.

Isn't it amazing how God uses every detail of our lives to teach us and help us grow? If only I could keep that perspective more consistently!

1 comment:

  1. Amen! I was thinking the exact same thing yesterday when I wouldn't let Jude lick the grocery cart handle. He threw a fit in the middle of the store. Thanks for the great perspective!

    ReplyDelete