I have been spending the days here in the NICU with Mackenna and learning her schedule (or should I say lack-of a schedule). I help the nurses take her temperature and change her diaper before feedings and have learned how to effectively swaddle her to keep her calm between feedings. One other thing that I have learned about our little girl... she LOVES being sung to. It doesn't matter what you sing to her, she just loves it! I made up my own little song for her... I'd like to think it's her favorite, but she also is happy when mommy sings her hymns or just hums a little tune. She's even smiled a couple of times while I was singing to her (ok, maybe it was gas, but still). I have also had a great time reading to her and rocking with her. While the time here in NICU has been special I am looking forward to her homecoming.
We have been so blessed by all of the NICU nurses. We have learned so many practical tips and wise pieces of advice... it's priceless! We've enjoyed spending time getting to know each of our nurses and visiting with them while we feed and care for Mackenna. They are truly special women in our hearts. We will always remember them and be thankful for the thorough and tender way that they have cared for Mackenna Grace. It will be hard to say goodbye to our new friends. They've told me already to make sure to bring Mackenna by from time-to-time for a visit. I think that she has a special place in their hearts as well.
Well, I think I have about an hour that I can sneak in a quick nap before Mackenna is hungry again. One thing everyone has told me is, "Sleep when the baby sleeps!" So, I guess I should listen to their advice!
She is so beautiful. We are thankful that she is doing well, enjoy every minute of motherhood!
ReplyDelete